Wednesday 15 January 2014

The Samburu-Maralal Saga - Part II

Here is the story of my morning adventure...

Darkest Before Dawn

The dark adventures

No photos to show this thrill, just my words...
 We depart before dawn & adventure begins right outside the gate. At first I thought the 2KM distance I walked 4days ago seemed far. Wondering to myself 'how come we aren’t getting to the main road?' I go silent assuming maybe the darkness is making us move slowly although I very well knew the speed wasn’t that slow.
 My suspicion finally gets confirmed after my fellow adventure mates (AM) realized I had been too silent: They were speaking a language I do not understand so I couldn’t quite tell how they all realized at the same time that I was quiet. 

I was informed that we had used a different route (phew! Was getting worried @ this rate we shall take 6hrs on the road) but he hadn’t finished the statement, we used a different route in the forest!!! oh boy! Should I be worried? Are there warriors? Or just those insecurities? *ignorant thoughts here*
Well, I dared not ask lest I jinx it.
 Now that my heart was @ peace I could start noticing other things around me like the Christmas song playing on the radio, which was suddenly disrupted by my adrenaline rush caused by the skidding. I had already pictured us all out pushing a 4×4 & by that I mean 2 ladies seated back seat & one gentleman, an important person (title wise).

We however managed to swerve & get out of it. There were quite some more of that swerving as we climbed the hill. When we got to hilltop I breathed a sigh of relief 'one challenge down' let’s see what’s ahead before dawn. 

I just kept hoping some light will start creeping from the skies & I could feel less blind & more aware of my surrounding, but for now we could only trust our driver knew what he was up to.
Finally we begun journey down the hill, rough rugged, rocky, you name it! There was no sliding this time which was great but on an un-existing road, it can’t be all roses… we tilted to points of almost rolling... the end seemed closer yet so far!

About 15mins down the slope with some places not exactly having roads (so we went creating our own paths) we were out of the forest. 
 Back on the highway! haha main road, smoother main road, well not exactly, it is a rough road just not comparable to the hill encounter which was in no man's definition smooth, but the few worthwhile encounters of seeing a stream of zebras passing & spotting the mobile satellite from the hill made a difference.
Back to the smoother rough-road highway-main road, 
I can relax... I slept on the smooth rough road!

Good morning :-) its sunrise!

No comments:

Post a Comment